ターボチャージャー付きの

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 GC8 STi
      2008 BP9 Lux - DEAD
      2006 Outback - bOrked

Posted 28 March 2019 - 3:40 AM

So to replace the BP Legacy, i rushed out and bought the nearest Outback I could find, and it seems I bought a bit of a POS.

I have a Vibration issue, mainly under power, like when accelerating uphill, most obvious after turning at Stop signs etc. Feels like its coming through the whole car, but not the wheel as much. Installing the FWD fuse generally makes it worse, so I don't think its diff related.

So far I have;

Serviced the engine and trans (plugs, filters, leads etc)
Replaced front CV shafts (took the old OEM ones taken apart and checked and they were fine)
Replaced drive shaft (had notchy U Joints)
Had an alignment and wheel balance (and tried different wheels)
Replaced engine mounts (on a hoist you could see the engine vibrate a lot, I thought doing this was gonna be the thing to fix it, but its still going)

So I'm out of ideas now. Also now I have new mounts, the car now vibrates when stopped and in gear.

Anyone else experienced something similar, or have any ideas of things to try?

Posted Image

Now with added tubro Otto wagcoon

#2 mjlqtown

mjlqtown

Old School Weirdo

• Contributing Member
  • 1536 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1991 Subaru Legacy GTRS BC
      1997 Subaru Legacy GT-B
      1989 Subaru Leone Omega Turbo
      1988 Subaru Leone GTX

Posted 03 April 2019 - 4:52 AM

Is it like a shudder or something?Also checked the front diff fluid level?

Posted ImageYea right by Mitchell Lindsay, on Flickr

#3 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:24 AM

Normally I'd say CV shafts, then driveshaft... but you've done both of those... Hmmmmmm

Do we start thinking engine related instead of drivetrain? Is it rev related or speed related... If it's speed related, but doing it at idle, it can't be axles or driveshaft, so maybe be transmission? If it's rev related, maybe harmonic balancer, or a cyl missfire? Check your torque converter bolts? Maybe a mix of missfire and dodgy engine/trans mounts?

I'm currently working on a similar issue with a customer BPE outback, his is certainly speed related, just replaced a CV halfshaft, since one had a split inner boot, and previously i've found failed inner CV's can cause this, but it made no improvement, so gonna get underneath and do a proper job diagnosing. It's hard without a hoist anymore, it is always good to get under a car and run it up to see where the vibration is eminating. Maybe bribe your local mechanic to do that for yah.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#4 p33t

p33t

ターボチャージャー付きの

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 GC8 STi
      2008 BP9 Lux - DEAD
      2006 Outback - bOrked

Posted 27 May 2019 - 5:45 AM

Normally I'd say CV shafts, then driveshaft... but you've done both of those... Hmmmmmm

Do we start thinking engine related instead of drivetrain? Is it rev related or speed related... If it's speed related, but doing it at idle, it can't be axles or driveshaft, so maybe be transmission? If it's rev related, maybe harmonic balancer, or a cyl missfire? Check your torque converter bolts? Maybe a mix of missfire and dodgy engine/trans mounts?

I'm currently working on a similar issue with a customer BPE outback, his is certainly speed related, just replaced a CV halfshaft, since one had a split inner boot, and previously i've found failed inner CV's can cause this, but it made no improvement, so gonna get underneath and do a proper job diagnosing. It's hard without a hoist anymore, it is always good to get under a car and run it up to see where the vibration is eminating. Maybe bribe your local mechanic to do that for yah.

I had it up on the hoist, and if you put the car under load you could see the engine and gearbox shaking from side to side, which made us think the engine mounts were the issue. But after that the vibration got worse.

I did notice that the vibration goes away completely when you knock it out of gear. Like the instant you change into neutral its gone.

Posted Image

Now with added tubro Otto wagcoon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users