THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5846 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

As some of you may know, a number of weeks ago my dads BH5A Auto (EJ206) packed up. Total engine annihilation. And my recent trip to Auckland was to fix said engine. Some of you may also know, not all BH's are equal. The BH5D's are completely different animals, they have a totally different intake manifold, with different sensors/throttle body, and top feed injectors, with a whole new wiring loom totally incompatible with the earlier BH's. These engines also tend to be more reliable than their older BH5A and B counterparts... (Simply newer? I base this remark on anecdotal evidence alone)

The engines as a whole are not compatible in the least, one does not simply pull out a Rev A motor, and then drop in a Rev D motor. BUT, the long blocks are compatible... Once you strip off the intake manifold, they are similar enough to work with all the BH5A/B/C gear. So if you happen to find a nice Rev D motor, for your blown A/B/C, then here's what's different...

First off, compression ratios, refer to this thread for details:
http://www.dirtyolbc...ression-ratios/

Then there's the long block.
The first thing that's different is the coolant crossover pipe on top of the block. This will need to be swapped over. Including the top tank line bolted to it, as the coolant top tanks are different.
Then the entire intake, complete manifold; turbo intake, fuel rails/lines/injectors, throttle body, vac lines, and coolant top tank need to be swapped. Thankfully this whole jumble of parts can be kept together, and swapped over in about 30 minutes.
Then there's the timing pulleys. This is probably the most annoying part. You need to swap the main crank sprocket, and the timing cam pulley, as the timing marks on the back of these are different to the earlier models. The other 3 plastic pulleys can remain, it's only the timing pulley that needs to be swapped.

I think that's it... the turbo's apparently are quite different, but my Rev-D motor didn't come with any, so I just used the old turbos.

So there you have it, pretty simple.

Only problem I have noticed since the conversion, is that it's a bit thirsty. I don't know if it was always this thirsty... It is an auto TT that loves to play with primary boost... But it could also be to do with the ECU tune no longer matching the heads and cams. I have no idea what differences may be lying in that department.

Pics coming soom.
Pics about 2 years late... And of no relevance... (forgot to take comparison pics)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rev D manifold. Note it's like a V5/6 manifold, only it has top feed injectors, and all the intake runners are the same curvey shape, rather than the flattened ones under where the coil pack usually sits.
Posted Image
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#2 SUBZLA

SUBZLA

n00b

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 subaru sti ra
      1999 subaru b4 rsk

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:48 AM

Hey my 1999 b4 just blew a big end so im about too replace it with a Rev D long block i cant find much info on it was just wondering if i need too use the Rev.d ECU or stick with my old one as im sticking with my old yellow injectors manifold,etc ??

#3 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5846 posts
  • Vehicles:
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:21 AM

Rev D ECU won't even plug in, looms etc totally different. You can also only use a Rev D long block for certain models of the pre face lift, due compression ratios. For BH5A and B, only auto's can use a D motor. Thankfully BH5C, both manual and autos can take the D long block. A/B manuals are 8.5:1, all other BH turbos are 9:1.

If you have an A/B manual, tracking down a C rev ECU may solve the issue.

As for the specifics, read the posts above, they have the info you need.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#4 SUBZLA

SUBZLA

n00b

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 subaru sti ra
      1999 subaru b4 rsk

Posted 04 July 2014 - 1:50 AM

Rev D ECU won't even plug in, looms etc totally different. You can also only use a Rev D long block for certain models of the pre face lift, due compression ratios. For BH5A and B, only auto's can use a D motor. Thankfully BH5C, both manual and autos can take the D long block. A/B manuals are 8.5:1, all other BH turbos are 9:1.

If you have an A/B manual, tracking down a C rev ECU may solve the issue.

As for the specifics, read the posts above, they have the info you need.

#5 SUBZLA

SUBZLA

n00b

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 subaru sti ra
      1999 subaru b4 rsk

Posted 04 July 2014 - 1:58 AM

ok so its all in and running but cant get it to idle right it any ideas??

#6 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5846 posts
  • Vehicles:
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

We need details,, what parts from the old engine have you swapped onto the new one, what ecu you're running, what the new engine is, what the car is.. Please be precise.
Posted Image

#7 SUBZLA

SUBZLA

n00b

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 subaru sti ra
      1999 subaru b4 rsk

Posted 05 July 2014 - 3:34 AM

ok so its a 1999 b4 rsk e tune running on its standard ecu we put a 2002 b4 rsk rev.d long block in and used all the other parts from my 1999 engine yellow injectors manifold turbos etc we swapt over the crank sproket an timming pully like you stated above car starts an runs but its rough as an missing not idling right an shaking hole car like a mean v8 would lol any ideas what we need too do next??

#8 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5846 posts
  • Vehicles:
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 05 July 2014 - 4:27 AM

My suspicion would be a loose coil, maybe mixed up coil plugs, or a vacuum leak. See if you can hear a hissing coming from anywhere in the engine bay, and see if un-plugging certain coils changes anything. If every coil makes the car run more rough when unplugged, then that's fine. If there's two on a head that make no difference if they are plugged in or not, they will be plugged in the wrong way round.
Posted Image

#9 SUBZLA

SUBZLA

n00b

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 subaru sti ra
      1999 subaru b4 rsk

Posted 05 July 2014 - 5:11 AM

ahhh yes right hand side coils made a differnce when played with left didnt change anything so will investigate that more tomorow thanks for the help was about too panic lol.

#10 SUBZLA

SUBZLA

n00b

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 subaru sti ra
      1999 subaru b4 rsk

Posted 19 July 2014 - 2:35 AM

ok so still havnt got it going its starting too do my head in any ideas on why my its now running really rough like whole engine shakes & it has like no power when accelerating can put my foot flat an it wont rev up

#11 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8604 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • MY05 BLE Legacy 3.0R Spec B 6MT

Posted 19 July 2014 - 3:30 AM

Faulty air flow meter? Blocked intake or exhaust?
Posted Image

6 stars, 6 cylinder and 6 speed. 666. It's the devil car!!

#12 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5846 posts
  • Vehicles:
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Running, but barely running at all.

So it will be running too rich or too lean, or have poor spark. What can cause any of that?

Can you cross out spark? Are the plugs and coils good?
Fuel, blocked filter, big vac/boost leak (any hissing in the engine bay)?
Sensors, as Ryan said, afm? Coolant temp maybe? Might lead to an over rich when warm maybe or not rich enough when cold? Worst case, a BG I had the other day that just randomly, without provocation started running rough on the guy, after days of no results, we eventually got a compression test, and found a cyl with no compression.

Usual suspect would be AFM first, coil condition second, then inter the more obscure things.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users