• You cannot reply to this topic

Sporty steering button on dash

#1 User is offline   legacy_h6tt 

• n00b
  • Group: Members
  • Vehicles:
    • 1990 Legacy GT

Posted 18 October 2018 - 2:27 PM

Can anyone shed any light on how this is meant to work and what it does? I know it is connected to the solenoid on the steering rack and when I turn the ignition on it starts to buzz regardless of whether the dash button is on or off... maybe someone has a wiring diagram or a factory specification/function document. I've looked around but haven't found anything yet. The car is a 1990 Legacy GT. Cheers

#2 User is offline   DCVR 

• Rally Driver!
  • Group: Committee
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 19 October 2018 - 12:46 AM

View Postlegacy_h6tt, on 18 October 2018 - 2:27 PM, said:

Can anyone shed any light on how this is meant to work and what it does? I know it is connected to the solenoid on the steering rack and when I turn the ignition on it starts to buzz regardless of whether the dash button is on or off... maybe someone has a wiring diagram or a factory specification/function document. I've looked around but haven't found anything yet. The car is a 1990 Legacy GT. Cheers

on mine it dampens the steering takes the twitchyness out of it at highway speeds. Can't explain the noise ur getting. You can also try the DOBC private FB page if ur on it? PM me if not and we'll get you added

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   legacy_h6tt 

• n00b
  • Group: Members
  • Vehicles:
    • 1990 Legacy GT

Posted 21 October 2018 - 4:22 PM

View PostDCVR, on 19 October 2018 - 12:46 AM, said:

on mine it dampens the steering takes the twitchyness out of it at highway speeds. Can't explain the noise ur getting. You can also try the DOBC private FB page if ur on it? PM me if not and we'll get you added

That's what I expect it to do, I just don't remember if ever making any difference when I was last driving my BF regularly (10+ years ago!!) but now that it's coming back together finally I want to make sure it is all working properly. I can only assume that when you hit the dash button it activates the solenoid on the rack and somehow tightens up the steering, but not sure exactly the mechanics of it as I've never had a rack in pieces (I will one day), but it appears my solenoid is always on. I wonder if I have a faulty switch or if it's wired correctly so I was hoping to find a schematic somewhere.

Yep I'm on the DOBC FB page, and was looking for info for Flat Nats. I see by your avatar you must be involved so perhaps you can tell me a few details such as entry fee and if there is camping, etc. Are dogs allowed at Manfeild? What about a schedule for the weekend? My Leggy won't be running since I'm yet to build the motor but I can drop in the dry build I have sitting there and the rest of the body/chassis resto should be finished by the time the show comes around so I might trailer it up for the Show and Shine :)

Cheers, Laurence

#4 User is offline   Reuben 

• THAT guy...
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 22 October 2018 - 8:14 PM

I think the button only lets you choose the logic of when the solenoid turns on and off, rather than giving you direct control of the solenoid. Furthermore I think it’s pretty common for these solenoids to completely miss behave and not do what they are told. Sadly the steering computer is not smart enough to figure this out and doesn’t have any error codes, other than whether or not the solenoid is plugged in at all.

When switched on, the steering becomes rock hard at speed, much more aggressive than the regular setting. The switch is pre facelift only.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#5 User is offline   DCVR 

• Rally Driver!
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:43 PM

View Postlegacy_h6tt, on 21 October 2018 - 4:22 PM, said:

View PostDCVR, on 19 October 2018 - 12:46 AM, said:

That's what I expect it to do, I just don't remember if ever making any difference when I was last driving my BF regularly (10+ years ago!!) but now that it's coming back together finally I want to make sure it is all working properly. I can only assume that when you hit the dash button it activates the solenoid on the rack and somehow tightens up the steering, but not sure exactly the mechanics of it as I've never had a rack in pieces (I will one day), but it appears my solenoid is always on. I wonder if I have a faulty switch or if it's wired correctly so I was hoping to find a schematic somewhere.

Yep I'm on the DOBC FB page, and was looking for info for Flat Nats. I see by your avatar you must be involved so perhaps you can tell me a few details such as entry fee and if there is camping, etc. Are dogs allowed at Manfeild? What about a schedule for the weekend? My Leggy won't be running since I'm yet to build the motor but I can drop in the dry build I have sitting there and the rest of the body/chassis resto should be finished by the time the show comes around so I might trailer it up for the Show and Shine :)

Cheers, Laurence

will PM u

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users