THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 06 July 2018 - 10:31 AM

So I’ve upgraded the brakes on Blighter. Factory non ABS, so he has the 1” 4-port master. The other option for BC’s was ABS, same design, but the two bottom ports are blanked off, and it has a 1-1/16th” bore.

Now on the BC with the old 277mm 2-pots, I had added a BH large brake booster, and the pedal feel was great, nice and firm, very responsive (it’s a great upgrade for first gen owners with stock brakes) Now though, after upgrading to 4-pots, the pedal feel has gone back to what it felt like from factory... a bit spongy (not bad, just not as nice).

I assume this is due to the fact you gotta send more fluid into the 4-pots? So you need a longer stroke to get the same pedal feel? Am I also right in assuming that going to a 1-1/16” would compensate nicely for this?

thats why I’m here asking, I don’t know if that’s going to do anything, by stepping up to the next larger master...

Next question is, does anyone know what master came on the non ABS 4-pot equipped GC’s? Was it 1” or 1-1/16”? If it was larger, and had the 4-ports off the master, easy, I just need one of them... if not... we’ll there is a place I can send a 1” non ABS master to get bored out to 1-1/16, and then re-sealed, they quoted about $200, which I thinks pretty reasonable.

So brake experts please advise, is the bigger bore a worthwhile upgrade to suit my new 4-pots?
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#2 Leufkax

Leufkax

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 437 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • '92 BF5 S2, AE101, '78 X7, CBR1000, 1200 Sportster

Posted 12 July 2018 - 5:39 AM

I'm running 4 pots on the factory 1 inch with stainless lines, very firm pedal. You potentially have some trapped air still.

#3 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 12 July 2018 - 12:14 PM

Bleed them up twice. Nope. Everything’s relative, I should clarify that it’s firmer than the daily 250T, and about as firm as Beasts factory setup. There is no problem that I’m trying to fix, what I’m doing is trying to modify the setup to regain the firmness I used to have with the non standard big booster and small brakes, I had gotten used to that and very much enjoyed the firmer than factory pedal feel.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#4 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 5103 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 06 August 2018 - 8:57 AM

So I’ve upgraded the brakes on Blighter. Factory non ABS, so he has the 1” 4-port master. The other option for BC’s was ABS, same design, but the two bottom ports are blanked off, and it has a 1-1/16th” bore.

Now on the BC with the old 277mm 2-pots, I had added a BH large brake booster, and the pedal feel was great, nice and firm, very responsive (it’s a great upgrade for first gen owners with stock brakes) Now though, after upgrading to 4-pots, the pedal feel has gone back to what it felt like from factory... a bit spongy (not bad, just not as nice).

I assume this is due to the fact you gotta send more fluid into the 4-pots? So you need a longer stroke to get the same pedal feel? Am I also right in assuming that going to a 1-1/16” would compensate nicely for this?

thats why I’m here asking, I don’t know if that’s going to do anything, by stepping up to the next larger master...

Next question is, does anyone know what master came on the non ABS 4-pot equipped GC’s? Was it 1” or 1-1/16”? If it was larger, and had the 4-ports off the master, easy, I just need one of them... if not... we’ll there is a place I can send a 1” non ABS master to get bored out to 1-1/16, and then re-sealed, they quoted about $200, which I thinks pretty reasonable.

So brake experts please advise, is the bigger bore a worthwhile upgrade to suit my new 4-pots?

I switched to the non abs 1 /1/16 MC when I went to 4 pots. Nice firm pedal
Posted Image

#5 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 09 August 2018 - 9:38 AM

What car was that from? Cause I’ve so far only seen 1-1/16th cyls on ABS cars.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users