THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5846 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 30 October 2017 - 7:21 AM

A quick tutorial on how to replace your wing mirror glass. Pictureless because I forgot to take pics (I'll take pics and update next time, I still got a left hand to do for mitch), but it's pretty straight forward to explain. This applies if you want to get at the motors inside the mirror also, to repair them if they are acting up. Or just to replace a cracked mirror

The sad truth, if you want to get at the interior of the wing mirror, to the motors, you must smash the glass to acheive this. This does not apply to newer cars as they changed the design so that you didn't have to smash it. (BH's and whatnot, the plastic back plate is a click-fit, and the glass and plastic plate come out as one with a simple pry)

On first gens, and second gens, the screws to release the mirror are behind the glass, on the glass plastic back plate itself. To access them, you have to seperate the morror glass from the plastic back plate. It's virtually impossible to seperate them without cracking the galss, as the glass gets quite brittle with age. It is possible to do it without breaking the glass... but good luck!

I don't bother with plastic spudgers (yup, real term), as every time I've tried, the glass breaks anyway, so I just get in there with a flat head and get prying. The idea is to peel the plastic off the glass, you'll see what I mean when you get in there and have a go. The glass is simply held in by the lip of the plastic back plate, and two bits of double sided sticky foam, it's surprisingly easy to get it out once you've cracked a section off.

If all you are doing is replacing already broken glass as I was today, take the opportunity to take the plastic back blate off with the 4-screws, and clean out all the car friends (spiders) from behind it. Trust me, it's a grizzly sight in there most times!!!

Once it's time to fit the new glass up, make sure you clean the contact points of the foam nicely, and apply the foam to the plastic first. I insert the glass into the lower lip of the back plate, then work the back plate onto the glass, using a flat head wedged in behind the back plate, to stop it from moving around, as I gently apply pressure around, and work the lip around onto the glass. Don't worry about the sticky foam as once the lip is fully around the glass, it will be applying it's own pressure to the foam. If anything it's the plastic lip holding it in, the foam is to apply pressure and stop rattles.

Easy as that!

Do not get a glass-smith to do this for you, they will just use any ol mirror with the wrong magnificaton and glue it on top of your old smashed glass. Lazy! the genuine mirror glass is cheap, $15 on partsouq, (Though like $100 for the heated versions). Why would you not go genuine and DIY this super simple job!

Happy reflections
Posted Image
IMG_2745 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Non heated drivers side part number:
Posted Image
IMG_2746 by Reuben Horsley, on Flickr

Lastly, some part numbers.. Big surprise, BG = BH = GC.. who'd a thunk. Because of this parts commonality, I might just start stocking mirror glass at home.
BC/BF
91032AA320 - Right ($10USD)
91032AA330 - Left ($10USD)
91032AA700 - Right Heated ($69USD)
91032AA710 - Left Heated ($69USD)

BD/BG
91039AC000 - Right Heated ($58USD)
91039AC010 - Left Heated ($58USD)
91039AC020 - Right ($12USD)
91039AC030 - Left ($12USD)

BE/BH (not including Lancaster)
91039AC000 - Right Heated ($58USD)
91039AC010 - Left Heated ($58USD)

GC/GF
No heated glass for you dirty impreza peasants!
(Just kidding) It stands to reason the heated part numbers from the Legacy's would work, so you could easily retrofit heated wing mirrors! Ballin! The switch panels in BG's are the same part, so all you'd need is a legacy heated switch panel, the plug for it, and some wire.

As of writing this 30/10/17, first gen left hand non heated isn't in stock, but I bought one about a year ago, and BG/BH/GC heated isn't in stock, but I bought a right hand less than 6 months ago... First gen heated is a rare option, only rev-d's got them, so you may have to spring well over $100 to get them out of subaru NZ or japan-parts etc.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#2 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5846 posts
  • Vehicles:
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 30 October 2017 - 7:33 AM

Found this fantastic write up for second gens, most of this info will apply to first gens, as the desings are very very similar!

www.uklegacy.com/forums/index.php/topic/108740-fix-a-floppy-bg5-door-mirror/

This write up also details how to fix the floppy mirrors BG's get. It's actually quite a simple fix! He only punches the retainer back down, I'd recomend taking it off first, and flattening it a bit so that it applies a stronger pressuer, as simply smacking it back down without touching it will only last a short time, as when they come up, they often gouge the shaft up, and open up the tolerances a bit. Another option would be a quick tac weld once you've tested the play is gone, but the pressure isn't so tight that you've seized the mechanism. This is a good perma fix!

I've fixed a few BG mirrors now two on beast, as one on the green turd... Damn anoying, and common problem!

Side note, if you have a smashed housing on a good mirror, I.e has driven into something or, like I had, have been valdalised... the motor inside will still be good, and if you have heated mirrors, the wiring will be there. What you can do is get a regular floppy flogged replacement mirror (say, a 5-wire as the wreckers call them), and transfer your 7-wire heated mirror guts into the new housing, and slap on a new heated bit of glass. Makes it easy to get replacements that way, as all you worry about is colour, and not about how floppy it is, or how many wires it has!!! Genius!
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#3 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 4942 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 31 October 2017 - 5:43 AM

bloody good info I must talk to you sometime about partsouq numbers I get a hell of a lot of 'not available' when I'm hunting for parts
Posted Image

#4 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5846 posts
  • Vehicles:
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 02 November 2017 - 8:42 AM

It's hit and miss. Service items are still good, things like pipes that crack and stuff. But if you want specific things like badges, complete wing mirrors, garnishes, trim bits etc, partsouq won't list it. That's when you have to go to Subaru NZ
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users