• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 10 February 2017 - 12:37 AM

hello all,
want to get some new cushioning for the Rs.
don't want to go overboard- trying to keep semi orig so something that handles well and has similar ride height to factory.
suggestions?

#2 p33t

p33t

ターボチャージャー付きの

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 GC8 STi
      2008 BP9 Lux - DEAD
      2006 Outback - bOrked

Posted 10 February 2017 - 5:39 AM

I went with KYB Excel-G shocks and some second hand HKS springs I had laying around, and its riding quite well. The shocks are better then stock ones, but aren't an overly sport focused shock, so it isnt a jarring ride.

I think it sits alright.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now with added tubro Otto wagcoon

#3 calbaru

calbaru

Auto Driver

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 10 February 2017 - 7:44 AM

thanks man
nice looking ride

#4 calbaru

calbaru

Auto Driver

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 10 February 2017 - 8:35 AM

also i think i have the factory shocks. are they rebuildable?
kyb bh04 20311fa610 (they say gas filled do not open could be the answer right there)
ni22 20360fa240
i would rather do that if it works or waste of time?
further i have the shocks from a 92 gx limited sedan bc7dk6r would they bolt straight in?
lots of questions but this stuff takes a lot of time to find
suggestions always appreciated,
cheers cal

#5 p33t

p33t

ターボチャージャー付きの

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 GC8 STi
      2008 BP9 Lux - DEAD
      2006 Outback - bOrked

Posted 10 February 2017 - 8:53 AM

as far as I know, kybs cant be rebuilt. What you can do is find a set of Bilsteins off a 2nd gen Legacy and get them rebuilt, but then thats still about 250 a shock to be redone.

I dont see why the shocks out of the BC7 would fit any other BC, but they wouldn't be as handling oriented as the ones off a RS or GT.

Posted Image

Now with added tubro Otto wagcoon

#6 mjlqtown

mjlqtown

Old School Weirdo

• Contributing Member
  • 1568 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1991 Subaru Legacy GTRS BC
      1997 Subaru Legacy GT-B
      1989 Subaru Leone Omega Turbo
      1988 Subaru Leone GTX

Posted 11 February 2017 - 3:16 AM

I bought brand new KYB Excel G's, they work a treat. Good handling and provide a nice ride without being harsh. The only problem is springs, I used my stock ones.

If you ever want to try the struts out, I can bring my RS over one day.
Posted ImageYea right by Mitchell Lindsay, on Flickr

#7 calbaru

calbaru

Auto Driver

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 11 February 2017 - 3:30 AM

I bought brand new KYB Excel G's, they work a treat. Good handling and provide a nice ride without being harsh. The only problem is springs, I used my stock ones.

If you ever want to try the struts out, I can bring my RS over one day.

very generous, thanks man. sounds like kyb might be the way too go. easy way to test old spring integrity?
the shocks that r on it now are fucked. i had a few tools in the back and the wheels rubbed

also do u know wot the warning light that looks like a hot exhaust means? comes on when first starts and then goes out after a couple mins.
cant find anything about it anywhere
thank goodness for dobc eh
hope alls good in the qt

#8 RS RA 77

RS RA 77

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:29 AM

also do u know wot the warning light that looks like a hot exhaust means? comes on when first starts and then goes out after a couple mins

They hot exhaust symbol usually means the Cat. Might be on the way out if you have one.

#9 calbaru

calbaru

Auto Driver

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 13 February 2017 - 1:13 AM

also do u know wot the warning light that looks like a hot exhaust means? comes on when first starts and then goes out after a couple mins

They hot exhaust symbol usually means the Cat. Might be on the way out if you have one.

yeah thank u found that out with a little bit more research. don't think i do have cat. exhaust been replaced with straight 3 inch pipe
car is missing and stuttering under accel so i think it could be front o2 sensor or icv?
somethins not good

#10 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:01 PM

You can't go past KYB excel-G's, really superb struts, and obviously OEM qulity too. I've found they drive quite nicely, like new car firm. And handle very well. Softer than bilsteins in ride, but arguably handle better that a flogger 18 year old set of billies.

As for the car temp light, it can't come on without a cat converter. They come on when a car sends lots of unburnt fuel down the exhaust. When the cat is present, that fuel ignites on the catalyst and the cat temp sensor picks that up. If the car is stuttering, and the cat temp light is coming on periodically, logical answer is it's running on 3. Check you coils or get on with the conversion you were thinking about doing. I've got the gear at home for a conversion if you need it btw.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users