• 54 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 28 November 2016 - 3:27 AM

hey,

looking at picking up legacy rs.
does anyone know if there is a code stamped on the engine so you can check if it matches model plate no.?
there seems to be conflicting info out there.
cheers

#2 Sammy

Sammy

Boosted!

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1991 GTS2 legacy sedan (project)
      1995 2 door gc1 - Retna Impreza

Posted 28 November 2016 - 8:33 PM

no there's not unfortunately :( would be awesome if they did that. The only place to identify them is on the cambelt cover near the bottom they have a sticker with engine code on it. Often they peel off or are unable to be read lol. And there's no guarantee the cover hasn't been swapped at some point either.

Depending on the marks on the block/head you can normally take a stab at what it is though

The other thing is even if the sticker is there it may not be correct as subaru heads are like lego and you could swap multiple types onto the same block :lolz:
Posted Image

#3 calbaru

calbaru

Auto Driver

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 29 November 2016 - 5:50 AM

no there's not unfortunately :( would be awesome if they did that. The only place to identify them is on the cambelt cover near the bottom they have a sticker with engine code on it. Often they peel off or are unable to be read lol. And there's no guarantee the cover hasn't been swapped at some point either.

Depending on the marks on the block/head you can normally take a stab at what it is though

The other thing is even if the sticker is there it may not be correct as subaru heads are like lego and you could swap multiple types onto the same block :lolz:

thanks man,
im gonna get it anyway so ill prob be on here asking heaps of questions

#4 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 29 November 2016 - 9:42 AM

If you get it, post pics, we can at least tell if it's the right kind of 20G, and not some WRX motor or something.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#5 calbaru

calbaru

Auto Driver

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 07 December 2016 - 8:05 AM

did get the rs and it puts the dirty in dirty ol bc for sure.
i love it tho
can't post pics right now but i think the engine is original. could be way off
couple of questions tho.
the alternator died on the way back down south. i got it jumped and then alternator replaced in twizel.

1) do i need to reset the ecu?
2)do u know anyone who reconditions alternators in the southern lakes area?

thanks in advance

#6 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 07 December 2016 - 7:58 PM

No ECU reset required, and I can do simple things like chuck in some new brushes and bearings/test the rectifier etc.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#7 calbaru

calbaru

Auto Driver

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 14 January 2017 - 4:21 PM

#8 calbaru

calbaru

Auto Driver

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 87 XX leone
      89 Rs
      89 BF 'madness'

Posted 14 January 2017 - 4:25 PM

i actually did find one man.
on the rhd side of the block where it meets the transmission.
on the gx i bought it was recorded in the original sale book and it also looks like when the cars are imported it is recorded and carjam etc keep a record.
the number however seems to have nothing to do with the model plate but if you get the report you can see what engine number was in the care when it came into nz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users