• Quad-cam
  • Group: Members
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 Legacy RS rally car
      1992 Legacy 2.2 Daily
      1996 FTO GPX Weekender

Posted 19 July 2016 - 12:57 AM

Hey all,

So as some have seen I've picked up a G4+ plugin, with the deals going around, I couldn't say no..

So there's a couple of sensors I'd like to get going that I'm unsure of with these early cars.

One being the clutch switch, which I've read that you can get off of newer models?

Oil pressure/temp, can I replace the factory dummy light sensor with a pressure sensor?

VSS, I see a wire for it on the wiring diagram, but it doesn't seem to do anything on my friend's WRX, so do we actually have one?

Individual wheel speed sensors, anything available here?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions...
89 RS Rally car
92 GX 2.2
96 FTO GPX

#2 User is offline   plox 

• Auto Driver

Posted 19 July 2016 - 1:28 AM

View PostBraydon, on 19 July 2016 - 12:57 AM, said:

Hey all,

So as some have seen I've picked up a G4+ plugin, with the deals going around, I couldn't say no..

So there's a couple of sensors I'd like to get going that I'm unsure of with these early cars.

One being the clutch switch, which I've read that you can get off of newer models?

Oil pressure/temp, can I replace the factory dummy light sensor with a pressure sensor?

VSS, I see a wire for it on the wiring diagram, but it doesn't seem to do anything on my friend's WRX, so do we actually have one?

Individual wheel speed sensors, anything available here?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions...

As far as i'm aware the clutch switches are exactly the same as the brake switches (is on my RS legacy anyway which has both). Why do you want it? launch control can be activated based on speed.

Yes you can replace the factory oil pressure switch with an oil pressure sensor using an adapter.
I wired in oil pressure, fuel pressure and a wide band. Pretty much so i could put limits in place if they go outside an acceptable range. Ecu has a limit based on water temp so wasn't bothered about oil temp and personally i think i would get more value out of a oil temp gauge which doesn't need to be wired to the link.

FYI the sensors needed for the link are different to what most gauges uses - pressure ~ $100 and temp ~ $50 without gauges

#3 User is offline   Braydon 

• Quad-cam
  • Vehicles:
      1992 Legacy 2.2 Daily
      1996 FTO GPX Weekender

Posted 19 July 2016 - 2:25 AM

View Postplox, on 19 July 2016 - 1:28 AM, said:

As far as i'm aware the clutch switches are exactly the same as the brake switches (is on my RS legacy anyway which has both). Why do you want it? launch control can be activated based on speed.

Yes you can replace the factory oil pressure switch with an oil pressure sensor using an adapter.
I wired in oil pressure, fuel pressure and a wide band. Pretty much so i could put limits in place if they go outside an acceptable range. Ecu has a limit based on water temp so wasn't bothered about oil temp and personally i think i would get more value out of a oil temp gauge which doesn't need to be wired to the link.

FYI the sensors needed for the link are different to what most gauges uses - pressure ~ $100 and temp ~ $50 without gauges

Thanks for the reply, and info :)

Don't need the clutch switch, just looking into options since there's a few things mentioned in the manual that you can do with it, flat foot shifting etc.

The issue launch control based of speed, is I then need the VSS wired up, hence the question regarding that.

Purchased their Oil temp sensor already, but wanted to test with my current aftermarket pressure sensor just in case that works with it.

Have the wideband waiting and ready to go into it as well, an MTX-L.
89 RS Rally car
92 GX 2.2
96 FTO GPX

#4 User is offline   Dundaberg 

• Its Broken...... Again!!
  • Group: Contributing Member
  • Vehicles:
    • 1992 BF Brighton Type RS
      1999 BE5 RSK
      2006 BL 3.0R

Posted 19 July 2016 - 3:18 AM

My G4+ plugin worked with the VSS straight away
Posted ImageP1040319_zpsqse520q8 by Dundaberg, on Flickr

comic sans, just to annoy those who know

#5 User is offline   Braydon 

• Quad-cam
  • Vehicles:
      1992 Legacy 2.2 Daily
      1996 FTO GPX Weekender

Posted 19 July 2016 - 3:44 AM

In your BC? If so then awesome, for some reason my mate's WRX didn't pick it up...
89 RS Rally car
92 GX 2.2
96 FTO GPX

#6 User is offline   plox 

• Auto Driver

Posted 19 July 2016 - 4:00 AM

I wasn't sure what VSS was, yea my link works fine with the factory speed sensor and wiring but is a wire in not plug in.

I'm pretty sure unless it's a AEM oil pressure sensor (has 0-5v output) it won't work with the link.

#7 User is offline   Dundaberg 

• Vehicles:
      1999 BE5 RSK
      2006 BL 3.0R

Posted 19 July 2016 - 5:44 AM

View Postplox, on 19 July 2016 - 4:00 AM, said:

I wasn't sure what VSS was, yea my link works fine with the factory speed sensor and wiring but is a wire in not plug in.

I'm pretty sure unless it's a AEM oil pressure sensor (has 0-5v output) it won't work with the link.

Yeah needs to be a 0-5v sensor, Dont get the cheap ones from Ebay for $20 either. They dont work, even when calibrated and wired properly.Posted Image AEM or similar.

#8 User is offline   Braydon 

• Quad-cam
  • Vehicles:
      1992 Legacy 2.2 Daily
      1996 FTO GPX Weekender

Posted 19 July 2016 - 6:21 AM

Yeah the gauge for my oil pressure sender is branded "Auto Gauge" so probably a cheap sensor on it...
89 RS Rally car
92 GX 2.2
96 FTO GPX

#9 User is offline   Dundaberg 

• Vehicles:
      1999 BE5 RSK
      2006 BL 3.0R

Posted 19 July 2016 - 10:54 AM

Yeah pretty sure they are the wrong type.

#10 User is offline   Braydon 

• Quad-cam
  • Vehicles:
      1992 Legacy 2.2 Daily
      1996 FTO GPX Weekender

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:20 AM

All good, I'll leave it there for now anyway, since it's hooked into its own gauge.
Will just see what I can do about putting in the temp sensor somewhere, any recommendations?
Assuming I'd need adapters to fit it to the block, as it's 1/8 NPT (pretty sure)
89 RS Rally car
92 GX 2.2
96 FTO GPX

#11 User is offline   plox 

• Auto Driver

Posted 20 July 2016 - 12:57 AM

http://www.trademe.c...-1125721355.htm

I used something like the above plus a factory oil pressure bung, oil pressure in the same spot as factory and if i was going to run oil temp it would be in the other bung or tap it into the sump plug.

#12 User is offline   Braydon 

• Quad-cam
  • Vehicles:
      1992 Legacy 2.2 Daily
      1996 FTO GPX Weekender

Posted 31 July 2016 - 3:39 AM

So I got my link in last night, and I for some reason the VSS is not working, :(
Also having issues with getting it to boost, but think that might be down to my wastegate actuator being worn out.
It's fully tightened, and even at 100% WGDC it still will only get to 0.9 bar, and only just..
89 RS Rally car
92 GX 2.2
96 FTO GPX

#13 User is offline   Reuben 

• THAT guy...
  • Group: Committee
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:39 PM

Vehicle speed sensor is supplied to the ECU via the speedo, even in cars with electronic speedo's

Does you speedo work?
If no: Diagnose that. Speed sender in the gear box. Is the cable fucked. If it's electronic, is there an open going to the cluster. If there's continuity to the cluster, then is the speedo itself broken.
If yes: Try another speedo, if no different, check continuity from the cluster to the ECU.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#14 User is offline   Braydon 

• Quad-cam
  • Vehicles:
      1992 Legacy 2.2 Daily
      1996 FTO GPX Weekender

Posted 05 August 2016 - 1:18 AM

View PostReuben, on 04 August 2016 - 11:39 PM, said:

Vehicle speed sensor is supplied to the ECU via the speedo, even in cars with electronic speedo's

Does you speedo work?
If no: Diagnose that. Speed sender in the gear box. Is the cable fucked. If it's electronic, is there an open going to the cluster. If there's continuity to the cluster, then is the speedo itself broken.
If yes: Try another speedo, if no different, check continuity from the cluster to the ECU.

So my friend with a V2 WRX and a Link G4+ as well is also having the same issue.
Both of our Speedos work, but neither of our LInks will read the speed sensor.
My friend swapped out clusters with a spare and still had the same issue.

Maybe there's a setting somewhere we've missed?

Might have to post up on the Link forum....

89 RS Rally car
92 GX 2.2
96 FTO GPX

#15 User is offline   Reuben 

• THAT guy...
  • Group: Committee
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 05 August 2016 - 2:23 AM

Check that the pin the link is usuing for speed sensor is correct. I was not aware of any variation for this, but maybe there is.

I've got a plug in possum link in my BC, speed sensor in that works fine.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#16 User is offline   Braydon 

• Quad-cam
  • Vehicles:
      1992 Legacy 2.2 Daily
      1996 FTO GPX Weekender

Posted 15 December 2016 - 1:39 AM

So we never actually resolved this issue...
Both links have since been removed from the WRX and the RA, and this week I'll be putting mine into my RS.
The issue is that I may not be using the original cluster if all goes to plan, so would converting to the newer electronic VSS still work?
Since it's not installed yet, I haven't found out if this car's sensor actually works with the link yet though.
89 RS Rally car
92 GX 2.2
96 FTO GPX

#17 User is offline   Dundaberg 

• Vehicles:
      1999 BE5 RSK
      2006 BL 3.0R

Posted 15 December 2016 - 4:45 AM

View PostBraydon, on 15 December 2016 - 1:39 AM, said:

So we never actually resolved this issue...
Both links have since been removed from the WRX and the RA, and this week I'll be putting mine into my RS.
The issue is that I may not be using the original cluster if all goes to plan, so would converting to the newer electronic VSS still work?
Since it's not installed yet, I haven't found out if this car's sensor actually works with the link yet though.

If worse come to worse, you can always use an ABS hub, with the rind and sensor, the ring may need to be slightly modified teeth wise and then all setup correctly in the software. But it can be done. A quick Google around will show.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users