• 1546 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1991 Subaru Legacy GTRS BC
      1997 Subaru Legacy GT-B
      1989 Subaru Leone Omega Turbo
      1988 Subaru Leone GTX

Posted 15 January 2016 - 7:07 AM

Hey Guys,

We have had to do diagnostics on first gens and use extra ECU ground's to help rule out issues. Apparently these cars have known ground issues.

Attached is a PDF file on what pin's need attention. Also make sure your engine has it's ground strap on ;)

See attached PDF for info.

PDF
Posted ImageYea right by Mitchell Lindsay, on Flickr

#2 Dundaberg

Dundaberg

Its Broken...... Again!!

• Contributing Member
  • 1153 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1992 BF Brighton Type RS

2006 BL 3.0R

Posted 15 January 2016 - 7:18 AM

AWESOME! I vote this get made into a sticky!

35795048880_d41ef0a566_b.jpg

comic sans, just to annoy those who know

#3 Dundaberg

Dundaberg

Its Broken...... Again!!

• Contributing Member
  • 1153 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1992 BF Brighton Type RS

2006 BL 3.0R

Posted 18 March 2016 - 11:38 PM

I also have had much success with this, but I have more to add.

Since having installed the Link I wanted to make sure everything was going to be working properly. I have put together this information to help with the earthing modification. I have spent hours searching forums, and triple checking with a multimeter to make sure everything was going to work as it should.

Also please take note that when looking at the diagrams, you are looking at the side of the plugs that the wires go into, not the blank side.
Also that the wires getting changed are solid black with a yellow, white or red pin stripe through them.

There are 6 wires in total that will be made to run direct to the engine block. Please use the images below as a reference.

On plug B125, you run pin numbers 14(power supply ground), 15(Ignition systems ground), 24&25(injector grounds) to the engine block.
On plug B126, you run pin numbers 11&22(control systems ground) to the engine block.

I used crimps when joining new wires and paired the wires together(as you can see in the photos), and I used a heavier gauge wire to go onto the engine block with ring terminals on the ends that got bolted to the block. I would also suggest while you are doing this you put together a DIY engine earthing kit. I used sub amp power wire and ring terminals for this. Running them 2 or 3 or the wires from various points on the block, back to the battery and also to the chassis.

Also before you go hacking you your own car, please double check you wiring yourself with a multimeter (buy one if you have the they are cheap)!

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

35795048880_d41ef0a566_b.jpg

comic sans, just to annoy those who know

#4 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 5036 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 19 March 2016 - 11:39 AM

ahhh this is good shit thanks for posting up and thanks Dundaberg for the help today. I have my earth wires sussed I just need to get some wire, crimps etc and I'm into it
Posted Image

#5 rafsub

rafsub

n00b

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Legacy Turbo "93 EDM
      Forester Turbo SF5 "02 EDM
      Forester XT "03 EDM

Posted 07 January 2020 - 12:15 PM

Hi, can some random missfiring at idle when hot be caused by these grounding issues ? 

Otherwise the car works great, just from times to times you can feel the missfiring when the car is idling, other times it's purring without any vibration. 

Thinking to try the ground trick before going with injector cleaning. 

Recently bought Legacy turbo 94" EDM 160k km

#6 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 5036 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 08 January 2020 - 8:47 PM

Hi, can some random missfiring at idle when hot be caused by these grounding issues ? 

Otherwise the car works great, just from times to times you can feel the missfiring when the car is idling, other times it's purring without any vibration. 

Thinking to try the ground trick before going with injector cleaning. 

Recently bought Legacy turbo 94" EDM 160k km

do the ground mod first and go from there

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users