#1 banky

banky

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 349 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1992 RS RA

Posted 24 August 2015 - 6:45 AM

As per the title I am looking for peoples opinions for a good alignment option for a BC5 legacy for the up coming track day. Did a wee search but couldn't find anything track specific.

Thanks in advance!!

#2 Dundaberg

Dundaberg

Its Broken...... Again!!

• Contributing Member
  • 1156 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1992 BF Brighton Type RS

2006 BL 3.0R

Posted 24 August 2015 - 7:03 AM

Yeah, plus one that!

35795048880_d41ef0a566_b.jpg

comic sans, just to annoy those who know

#3 Munkvy

Munkvy

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 268 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • BNR32, GC8 rally car, E30 325i, EF6, formerly BC5 rally car owner

Posted 24 August 2015 - 7:53 AM

That will depend a lot on what you have to work with? I would suggest Google is your friend as people have been tracking cars forever, see if you can find someone with similar mods.

Main thing (only in my opinion) is as much caster as possible and a little bit of camber up front in my limited experience, keep the toe relatively neutral unless you are familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of toe. Most of what I have set my car up for is tarmac rally, so not so applicable sorry (I am after maximum travel for example, which isn't as important on a smooth track and a little bit of brake oversteer).

In my opinion the right tyres and pressures are most important as that's what keeps you on the track. Overheating or useless tyres will ruin a day very quickly!

In the meantime I have found some details from a guy who is one of the better drivers in Wellington in my opinion (Albaru on CS/Subtalk), not sure if he is on here but he always pushes the limits of what a fairly stock GC8 can do. Hopefully he doesn't mind me reposting:

My car has +1mm toe front and 0mm rear. This is setup with Cy Guest's help, who was wheel alignment guy at Maclennans, for what I do which is mainly lower speed tarmac, grass autocrosses, motorkhanas (not easy in gc8), street sprints, hillclimbs. The car turns in quite sharp into corners. Have a WL ALK. Castor is 3.8* and SAI is 15*. Front camber avg is 2.3*. Rear camber avg is 1.4*.

On the track the car 4 wheel drifts near the limit tending to understeer over the limit which is predictable.

#4 banky

banky

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 349 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1992 RS RA

Posted 25 August 2015 - 5:00 AM

Thanks for that Munkvy, some good tips in there.

From my research I reckon I will be asking for something down the lines of
- Cambers: -3 front -1.5 deg rear.
- Toe: Zero all round
- Caster: 3.5-4

Seems to be about on par with the above. Im not looking at breaking any records etc and am more after a starting point that can be adjusted further down the line.

#5 nztintin

nztintin

Auto Driver

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 98 Forester ST\B - sacked daily
      95 WRX RA - Hacked Tracker

Posted 27 August 2015 - 5:09 AM

these are the specs I used in my SF5 and GC8, I ran the sport spec constantly in my forester and the race spec in the race car until I learnt what suited my driving style.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users