#1 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • GT-B Limited BG5C Legacy

Posted 06 January 2015 - 9:41 PM

so i bought a pair of v4 sti front control alloy arms being told that they would be direct fitment to my gtb so i go one side out and went to fit the alloy arm and it wouldnt fit in one spot heres a picture of my old one and the alloy one
Posted Image
do i just bend the opening where this slot into more to fit it in?

#2 Dundaberg

Dundaberg

Its Broken...... Again!!

• Contributing Member
  • 1156 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1992 BF Brighton Type RS

2006 BL 3.0R

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:28 PM

If it was me and everything else was the same, I would file down the pin that is to big so it goes in as it should.

35795048880_d41ef0a566_b.jpg

comic sans, just to annoy those who know

#3 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

Everything lines up sll right the sway bar link is really tight. I hacksawed the end that didn't slot in to fit to match the old Gtb one and filed it its all in now but i don't think it's supposed to fit. I had to unbolt the struts from the hub to put the sway link on then had to force the hub up to bolt to the strut up ..

#4 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:43 PM

you change to different swaybar links with alloy arms...... and measure the length of both crush tubes and grind to suit. or if you have a press exchange the 2 bushes. or get new bushes with the correct tube length, basically upgrade them at the same time
Posted Image

#5 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 1:02 AM

its weird i put the other side on and everything bolted up sweet. im going to get some aftermarket sway bar links anyways and swap them out ive hacksawed and filed the inner steel bush insert to slot in and fit other than that its all gone good now

#6 Dundaberg

Dundaberg

Its Broken...... Again!!

• Contributing Member
  • 1156 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1992 BF Brighton Type RS

2006 BL 3.0R

Posted 07 January 2015 - 5:22 AM

Dont forget to get a wheel alignment now its all sorted to. Dont wana go scrubbing tyres do we? lol

35795048880_d41ef0a566_b.jpg

comic sans, just to annoy those who know

#7 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 5:35 AM

hmmm lol yeah tyres are all knackerd need a full set anyways will get alignment then. its weird though on the driveway which is gravek going back and forwards the car felt really floaty at the front i did change the front springs aswell but cant see that affecting it to much. mayb i do need some aftermarket sway bar links

#8 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 9:06 PM

car feels really bad to drive now it shudders turning and the front end wobbles in a straight line and it squeaks

#9 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:53 PM

couldnt pinpoint what was doing it so i removed them and put the old ones back in and its driving sweet again im guessing it something to do with the bushes i trimmed down that and the sway bar links i noticed the alloy ones were 10mm longer than the gtb ones

#10 kamineko

kamineko

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 212 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • GC4A STI RA Type CF
      BG5B TD05

Posted 08 January 2015 - 2:38 AM

so where you using the metal sway bar links that DacerX mentioned?

the fat style links are the wrong size

Hey guys,

If you have a GC8 / GF8 and have fitted a set of aluminium front swaybar links, please post pics. I recently bought a set off trademe, but they look too short to me... ??? I haven't got around to bolting them up to check yet, probably do it this wkend. Thanks.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 08 January 2015 - 4:06 AM

i used the balljoint type that came with the alloy arms attached.

#12 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • MY05 BLE Legacy 3.0R Spec B 6MT

Posted 09 January 2015 - 4:24 AM

Did you have the adaptors for the ball joints fitted? Those bushes should have fitted, they're all the same size.
Posted Image

6 stars, 6 cylinder and 6 speed. 666. It's the devil car!!

#13 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 09 January 2015 - 4:42 AM

adaptors? yeah i was told they were direct fitment lol ohwell

#14 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:27 AM

There's a steel cone-shaped insert that fits on the taper of the ball joint.
Posted Image

#15 kamineko

kamineko

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 212 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • GC4A STI RA Type CF
      BG5B TD05

Posted 09 January 2015 - 7:43 PM

Posted Image

they're not bent in any way are they?

boostin, i believe tydon is talking about the front bush, the hollow pin seems to be wider on newer alloy arms which he has trimmed down. i imagine his alloy arms already came with the balljoints & adaptors

but this is all a bit weird. they should just bolt up. what else has changed? is the subframe straight? more pictures

#16 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

Posted Image
heres a pic of my ones everything seemed to bolt up fine after trimming down that hollow pin bushing thing lol
theyre both straight neither of them are bent are the same size as my older gtb ones

#17 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 10 January 2015 - 7:47 PM

Well, maybe get the front inner bush pressed out, and press in the one off the GTB. Inspect the rear inner bushes to see if they are leaking, or have any play. Inspect the outer ball joints to see if they have any splits in the boots, and have any play, they should be resonably stiff, i.e. shouldn't flop around on their own. And lastly, check the ball joints in the sway bay links like you did for the ball joint.

Alloy arms, provided they are not off a GDB, should bolt straight in without modification. I'm not aware of any differences between BG and GC and BH front inner bushings, so one has to wonder, why did one side not fit? measure left and right crush tubes and see if you've filed the poor fitting one down to the same size as the good one, or if you're filed it down to be smaller. Is there a problem with the subframe, and has someone modified your original arms to get them to fit, and the GTB arms same size left and right with those crush tubes? Is there any damage visible on the subframe? And have a real close look to see if those alloy arms are not bent, even slightly.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#18 p33t

p33t

ターボチャージャー付きの

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1996 GC8 STi
      2008 BP9 Lux - DEAD
      2006 Outback - bOrked

Posted 10 January 2015 - 8:34 PM

Posted Image
heres a pic of my ones everything seemed to bolt up fine after trimming down that hollow pin bushing thing lol
theyre both straight neither of them are bent are the same size as my older gtb ones

If that is a pic of the ones you've been fitting then they do seem to be different to the ones I've seen. If you compare my ones (which are the same as whats on my WRX as well you'll see that you have an extra lump of bracing next to the sway bar link, and an extra round hole next to that between the sway link mount and the smaller of the two big holes

mine;

Posted Image

What can did you get these off again?

EDIT;

a bit of googling shows these were possibly off a GDB Sti. Don't the sedans have a wider track standard??

EDIT again;

Looks like they can be fitted. Appears things need to changed to make it fit but it can be done and it will also give you more camber at the front, heres a how to guide.

http://www.rs25.com/...ment-specs.html
  • Sammy likes this

Posted Image

Now with added tubro Otto wagcoon

#19 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 10 January 2015 - 11:57 PM

So a lot of it could have been a shit ton of toe out.
Posted Image

#20 Tydon

Tydon

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 11 January 2015 - 3:00 AM

Posted Image

If that is a pic of the ones you've been fitting then they do seem to be different to the ones I've seen. If you compare my ones (which are the same as whats on my WRX as well you'll see that you have an extra lump of bracing next to the sway bar link, and an extra round hole next to that between the sway link mount and the smaller of the two big holes

mine;

Posted Image

What can did you get these off again?

EDIT;

a bit of googling shows these were possibly off a GDB Sti. Don't the sedans have a wider track standard??

EDIT again;

Looks like they can be fitted. Appears things need to changed to make it fit but it can be done and it will also give you more camber at the front, heres a how to guide.

http://www.rs25.com/...ment-specs.html

sweet thanks i ended up cutting them down but still had issues so i think il replace the bushes to GC ones .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users