#1 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 26 November 2014 - 1:12 AM

I couldnt find anything about this so thought id just be lazy and start a new thread.

So im looking at getting some in the future but ive never had them or used them but im starting to think they arent a bad investment.

At the moment im running RE002 225/45/17, from what the interest has told me most come in a 15, 17, 18 and 19. Annoying the only spare wheels that i have that clear 4 pots are 16.

What are people running on there cars? recommendations?
Posted Image

#2 Bazza-NZ

Bazza-NZ

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 346 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1994 Subaru Legacy GT
      1990 Subaru Legacy RS

Posted 26 November 2014 - 2:51 AM

I'm assuming you are looking at getting them BRAND NEW?

I have a set of R888 (http://www.toyo.co.u...ern/proxes-r888) in 215 45 R17 which have been great to me for track work. They have offered excellent grip levels in the dry once warmed up and worn evenly. In the wet I would recommend a good set of road tire / racing wets over them (especially once worn) as the wet grip just isn’t there. I picking up my set second hand (85% left) and have done 3 events on them and should get maybe another 4 odd. The R888 are known to get progressively worst as they wear down and flat spotting become very easy.

In saying this I also found the new RE002 I had fitting last weekend to be really good also. I could really lean on the tire in the corners.

#3 Johnnynz

Johnnynz

Rally Driver

• Contributing Member
  • 1218 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 WRX GC8

Posted 26 November 2014 - 4:57 AM

+1 for Toyo R888, its what I was running at the DOBC trackday. In all honesty they aren't as wide as I would like but the level of grip is well and truly beyond my T1Rs once I get osme heat into them.

I picked mine up for extremely cheap second hand with not a lot of use, they seem to be a very popular tyre and come up cheap and often in 17 inch. I guess my biggest question is are you out driving your road tyres already? I probably got mine a little prematurely but that was due to circumstance. I didnt start using them until I was beyond the limits of the T1Rs and I was finding they were going off after 2-3 laps due to heat and I had bugger all grip.

Also consider the extra wear and tear on your car, I am currently just doing the old 500mil extra oil trick but a baffled sump is probably a good idea. More than once last weekend did I have to back off a bit due to my oil pressure gauge dropping or me thinking it was.

#4 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 26 November 2014 - 5:48 AM

I'm getting my baffled sump next month and I'm finding my re002 grip very well for me on the track and the road so far. This is more a future question.
Posted Image

#5 Johnnynz

Johnnynz

Rally Driver

• Contributing Member
  • 1218 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 WRX GC8

Posted 26 November 2014 - 5:58 AM

Sweet, well I rate the R888s quite highly for the price. Nitto also do a nice Semi slick that seems well priced but the name escapes me. I know a few guys who swear by them on there drift cars.

#6 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • MY05 BLE Legacy 3.0R Spec B 6MT

Posted 26 November 2014 - 6:07 AM

NT01 and NT05. Nitto and Toyo are the same company too.
Posted Image

6 stars, 6 cylinder and 6 speed. 666. It's the devil car!!

#7 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 5103 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 26 November 2014 - 6:14 AM

I've been impressed with the way my R888s hang on in the corners where my T1R road tires would let go. The difference is nite and day. I've shredded a perfectly good set of T1Rs on the track and will never do that again.
I've had at least 6 track days out of my R888s and I would guess I have that many left at least.
Posted Image

#8 Johnnynz

Johnnynz

Rally Driver

• Contributing Member
  • 1218 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 WRX GC8

Posted 26 November 2014 - 6:20 AM

NT01 and NT05. Nitto and Toyo are the same company too.

I had heard that, but I havent had to buy decent tyres in a long time now so I am a bit out of date with all the goings on. Last time I brought decent tyres Nitto were very new on the scene, probably 3 years tbh.

#9 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 26 November 2014 - 7:07 AM

the annoying thing that i have been finding is that you cant seem to get R888 in a 16 at all as thats they size wheels that i have as spares. only other thing to do is use my RE002 until they go and get r888 on my 17's and then get re002 on my 16's. or invest in another set of some light 17" rim like v7 or twin spoke b4 rims.

Does anyone know why they dont do them in 16? is it just a oddball size?

EDIT:
Im a tard, toyo do a 225/50/16 and 225/45/16. Not bad at 349 a corner. Just need to figure what the better profile is
Posted Image

#10 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 5:25 PM

Those will be too wide for your guards, and probably the rims too. I could just sneak 225-45-17 in the back of the RS, but first corner and the tyres flexed over and rubbed on the guard and strut.
Posted Image

#11 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 26 November 2014 - 6:05 PM

im running 225/45/17 in the impreza now with no issues at all. i have cusco coilovers boostin so i have alot of clearance and ive rolled my rear guards as well so now i dont have any guard rub issues
Posted Image

#12 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

Well got a quote from a local supplier $335 fitted and balanced per corner. That doesnt sound that bad so far
Posted Image

#13 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:23 PM

When I fitted Matt's coilovers, I couldn't even get the rear wheels on! The tyre hit the spring before the wheel was flat on the drive flange.
Posted Image

#14 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 26 November 2014 - 11:58 PM

Random, it must be the offset of my 17's then.... but i can get 215/50/16 if needed and for the same money. mite have to try this out
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users