Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 691 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2003 HSV R8 Holden
      1990 RS Legacy

Posted 20 May 2013 - 3:45 AM

Hey guys,

Am heading to vector arena on the 13th with two very excited girls so they watch One Direction play, now myself and wife and Connor don't want to hang around and watch or even hear anything One Direction.

So we are looking for accomadition close close to the vector arena, don't want to be driving half the night, cheap as possible,

Also what, where is a good place to eat for the wife son and myself or where could I take my wife being her first time in Auckland.

What does DOBC recommend?
Project RS coming soon.

#2 Pelvin

Pelvin

(PM admin for custom title)

• Contributing Member
  • 2037 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2004 GG9 RXi

Posted 20 May 2013 - 4:10 AM

You don't want to see One Direction play their unique totally original music that speaks so much truth! GTFO!!!!!!!!!!!

:troll:
2000 Impreza WRX Type RA Version 6
1998 Legacy TS Type-R B Spec
1992 Legacy GT BC5 Facelift
Vairous other BD/BE/BC combos
2004 Impreza GG Wagon

#3 blk ice

blk ice

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 691 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2003 HSV R8 Holden
      1990 RS Legacy

Posted 20 May 2013 - 5:11 AM

Bro you GTFO, read it my teenage daughter is going, I am dropping her off, myself and my wife are looking for some thing to do and not knowing Auckland that well am asking what there is to do, where to stay. If you can't answer the questions don't post.....
Project RS coming soon.

#4 blk ice

blk ice

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 691 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2003 HSV R8 Holden
      1990 RS Legacy

Posted 20 May 2013 - 5:18 AM

Is this what Auckland is all about??????
Project RS coming soon.

#5 Pelvin

Pelvin

• Contributing Member
  • 2037 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2004 GG9 RXi

Posted 20 May 2013 - 5:19 AM

I was kidding mate :huh: hence the troll face at the bottom
2004 Impreza GG Wagon

#6 blk ice

blk ice

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 691 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2003 HSV R8 Holden
      1990 RS Legacy

Posted 20 May 2013 - 5:23 AM

Still no need for that shit, just asking a question, I don't troll anyone here and don't expect it back.
Project RS coming soon.

#7 matdaymon

matdaymon

Lurker

• Contributing Member
  • 2466 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • A Dirty ol' SF - The Deforester MKII

Posted 22 May 2013 - 9:48 AM

Can't specify anywhere for accommodation without knowing budget but Auckland is pretty easy to travel through in off peak hours, and on peak travelling by Pubic Transport is slightly quicker than taking a car depending on where you start out from.

Hotels from what I've seen close to Vector don't appear to be car friendly but being a local I've never investigated. Plenty of Motels about Auckland that you could stay at though if you don't mind.

Being a 1D concert I will assume that it'll start around 730-9pm for the main act to get on stage ('coz preteens need to be in bed before 10),so in order to get there in order to drop the teenager off without subjecting yourself to the torture of 1D you'll want to get them there around 630 or so, which means from anywhere outside of the CBD a traffic filled fun time heading into the CBD if you choose to drive. Plan for an hour sitting in traffic at the least if you take this option.
Traffic tends to ease around 630 - 7pm on a bad day so family public transport ride could be the goer. Britomart is a 5-10min stroll from Vector so if you're staying South (Train) If you're staying in the North (BUS). Again, allow for an hour with these options.

Also note: Parking in Auckland generally goes for $3p/h up to anywhere like $32

As for taking the wife/son out for dinner for their first time in Auckland you have two options.

Option A - Be touristy and go to Skycity/well known restaurant like The Grill/somewhere in Ponsonby
Option B - Have a look online for things in Auckland close to Vector to kill 3 hours or so. Most likely will end up at the Viaduct Harbour where there are lots of nice bars and restaurants.

My 2c, it's been 4 years since I caught pubic transport so they might be slightly more efficient these days. Trying to get into town around 430-630 either way can be a slow trip depending on conditions (Aucklanders freak out if it gets moist)

- hope this helps a little
Pedestrian: Noun.
A person who gets in the way of a moving vehicle.
Often found in big villages where tractors are not accepted modes of transport

#8 h8wrx

h8wrx

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 721 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1995 STI RA V2
      1993 BF GT
      2004 Outback 3.0R
      1997 STI V4 WRX
      1998 "Banana Boat" GTB race car

Posted 22 May 2013 - 9:57 AM

Bro when your up there don't forget to go to Wendys :) an not the dumb ice cream wendys aswell lol
Posted Image

#9 Drunkenmonkey

Drunkenmonkey

• Contributing Member
  • 3570 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 93 Subaru BC5 RS
      91 Nissan Safari LWB High Roof

Posted 22 May 2013 - 5:45 PM

Bro when your up there don't forget to go to Wendys :) an not the dumb ice cream wendys aswell lol

Yuk! You don't want to do that! Every time I've had it the bun is soggy from the foil wrapping, they have gone down hill BIG time in the last few years. Presentation is not a key thing for them
Posted Image

#10 blk ice

blk ice

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 691 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2003 HSV R8 Holden
      1990 RS Legacy

Posted 23 May 2013 - 2:26 AM

Can't specify anywhere for accommodation without knowing budget but Auckland is pretty easy to travel through in off peak hours, and on peak travelling by Pubic Transport is slightly quicker than taking a car depending on where you start out from.

Hotels from what I've seen close to Vector don't appear to be car friendly but being a local I've never investigated. Plenty of Motels about Auckland that you could stay at though if you don't mind.

Being a 1D concert I will assume that it'll start around 730-9pm for the main act to get on stage ('coz preteens need to be in bed before 10),so in order to get there in order to drop the teenager off without subjecting yourself to the torture of 1D you'll want to get them there around 630 or so, which means from anywhere outside of the CBD a traffic filled fun time heading into the CBD if you choose to drive. Plan for an hour sitting in traffic at the least if you take this option.
Traffic tends to ease around 630 - 7pm on a bad day so family public transport ride could be the goer. Britomart is a 5-10min stroll from Vector so if you're staying South (Train) If you're staying in the North (BUS). Again, allow for an hour with these options.

Also note: Parking in Auckland generally goes for $3p/h up to anywhere like $32

As for taking the wife/son out for dinner for their first time in Auckland you have two options.

Option A - Be touristy and go to Skycity/well known restaurant like The Grill/somewhere in Ponsonby
Option B - Have a look online for things in Auckland close to Vector to kill 3 hours or so. Most likely will end up at the Viaduct Harbour where there are lots of nice bars and restaurants.

My 2c, it's been 4 years since I caught pubic transport so they might be slightly more efficient these days. Trying to get into town around 430-630 either way can be a slow trip depending on conditions (Aucklanders freak out if it gets moist)

- hope this helps a little

Cool, thanks for that, have found a hotel on great northern road (may have to double check that) which has parking and was cheap, and had a few things for us to do before the show.

Didn't want to do the sky tower thing, to obvious, was more looking for those bars or restaurants that you have been to and would go back in a heart beat as it was an awesome experience.
The show finishes at 10 so the wife says so have some time to kill, and on a Sunday what is the traffic like, was always going to jump on public transport to get around the city as it tends to be easier then trying to drive and park up.
Project RS coming soon.

#11 blk ice

blk ice

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 691 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2003 HSV R8 Holden
      1990 RS Legacy

Posted 23 May 2013 - 2:28 AM

Yuk! You don't want to do that! Every time I've had it the bun is soggy from the foil wrapping, they have gone down hill BIG time in the last few years. Presentation is not a key thing for them

I am with Drunkenmonkey on that one, Wendy's just dosnt do it for me
Project RS coming soon.

#12 Drunkenmonkey

Drunkenmonkey

• Contributing Member
  • 3570 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 93 Subaru BC5 RS
      91 Nissan Safari LWB High Roof

Posted 23 May 2013 - 4:10 AM

If you want all you can eat meat there is wild fire in viaduct it's not overly cheep tho, there is a awesome seafood place as well Swashbucklers once again not cheep but dam yum!
Posted Image

#13 Pelvin

Pelvin

• Contributing Member
  • 2037 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2004 GG9 RXi

Posted 23 May 2013 - 4:21 AM

If you want a good variety of good food at a good price go to the stables on Elliott. Just down the road from skycity
2004 Impreza GG Wagon

#14 Shale

Shale

DOBC Postwhore

• Contributing Member
  • 5586 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Impreza project, 1990 BF5 GT-Ltd, 1992 BC GT

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:59 PM

On the cheap but still BLOODY EPIC scale for food in town near Vector is Fort St Union (on Fort St, surprisingly). Approx $20 per main and extraordinary quality, one of the nicest steaks I've had in a long time and held up on a bed of very nice veg indeed. $26 makes it a ribeye with two skewers of prawns. Good atmosphere and has indoor and outdoor.

Our favourite Korean restaurant is cheaper again, but IMO it's best when you go with a group of friends that know the place.

For something very different you could go to Daikoku on Quay St; it's a Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant (they cook the food right in front of you, set it on fire, juggle eggs etc, very entertaining). $30+ a head but a very nice night out indeed.

There are some really nice places through Britomart, it's a buzzing hub much like the Viaduct. Can't recall the name of the Macs concept bar on the corner by Britomart Station, but it's a darn nice place too.

If you don't want to stay in the city for the night, a short drive along Quay St / Tamaki Dr to Mission Bay you'll find De Fontein, which is a Belgian Beer Cafe. Great French-Belgian food and OMG THE BEERS ARE AWESOME. Saves on parking big-time and not too far to go to pick up the kids afterward.
Posted Image
<Pahalial> "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin
<kionix> wtf? begets isn't a word. quit trying to make up words, fuckface.
<Oscar_>: however, i know that my what article?
<Reubs> a nifty and a tube = sex
<Pelvin> matt, could you please sodomise me to death

#15 blk ice

blk ice

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 691 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2003 HSV R8 Holden
      1990 RS Legacy

Posted 20 June 2013 - 6:10 AM

For something very different you could go to Daikoku on Quay St; it's a Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant (they cook the food right in front of you, set it on fire, juggle eggs etc, very entertaining). $30+ a head but a very nice night out

For real, is this like what you see on tv where you sit around a hot plate while they cook it, always wanted to go to one of those places, looks like I fou d the place to eat if it is, thanks Shale
Project RS coming soon.

#16 Pelvin

Pelvin

• Contributing Member
  • 2037 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2004 GG9 RXi

Posted 20 June 2013 - 6:19 AM

For something very different you could go to Daikoku on Quay St; it's a Japanese Teppanyaki restaurant (they cook the food right in front of you, set it on fire, juggle eggs etc, very entertaining). $30+ a head but a very nice night out

For real, is this like what you see on tv where you sit around a hot plate while they cook it, always wanted to go to one of those places, looks like I fou d the place to eat if it is, thanks Shale

Exactly like that. Teppan yaki places have started popping up everywhere in auckland now
2004 Impreza GG Wagon

#17 h8wrx

h8wrx

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 721 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1995 STI RA V2
      1993 BF GT
      2004 Outback 3.0R
      1997 STI V4 WRX

Posted 20 June 2013 - 6:28 AM

Don't forget your watties sauce Ross :)
Posted Image

#18 Shale

Shale

DOBC Postwhore

• Contributing Member
  • 5586 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Impreza project, 1990 BF5 GT-Ltd, 1992 BC GT

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

Hell to the yes, and Daikoku is one of the places where you're likely to get a real showman too. :D Lots of fire and flying eggs (no kidding) and noise and cheering, and it's DELICIOUS!
Posted Image
<Pahalial> "ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" - Charles Darwin
<kionix> wtf? begets isn't a word. quit trying to make up words, fuckface.
<Oscar_>: however, i know that my what article?
<Reubs> a nifty and a tube = sex
<Pelvin> matt, could you please sodomise me to death

#19 blk ice

blk ice

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 691 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2003 HSV R8 Holden
      1990 RS Legacy

Posted 21 June 2013 - 5:13 AM

Don't forget your watties sauce Ross :)

Haha yeah, should do that a, walk in order something flash and then just smother it in wattles sauce just for fun, wonder what would happen.
Project RS coming soon.

#20 h8wrx

h8wrx

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 721 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1995 STI RA V2
      1993 BF GT
      2004 Outback 3.0R
      1997 STI V4 WRX