#1 tintop

tintop

N/A Driver

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • '89 BC5 NZ New

Posted 25 March 2013 - 5:11 AM

New to the world of Subaru's, tried to search, but the lovely search engine doesn't like words with less than four letters.

What I want to know is that what turbo can I bolt onto my BC5 RS ? I have owned a few Toyotas in the past, and they have turbos you can literally just bolt up and have a marked improvement in performance and response with no changes to anything else.

I want the car to remain as visually stock as possible, and do not want a noisy drain pipe out the back, I understand that a divorced/siamese downpipe works wonders so will be fitting one of those as well.

#2 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 25 March 2013 - 5:27 AM

All VF's will physically fit, including a bunch of TD's, but for true un bolt-bolt in swaps, you can go with any VF or TD that has the 90º upwards bend on the intake. This includes the two legacy turbos, the tiny VF10, the modest VF8, and some impreza turbo's, the small TD-04, and the STi monstrosity, TD-05.

The TD-05 will be the upgrade turbo you've imagined, it came on V2 STi's. It's not the most common, as it is a very popular turbo, due to it's ease of bolt in to the first gens.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#3 Pelvin

Pelvin

(PM admin for custom title)

• Contributing Member
  • 2037 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2004 GG9 RXi

Posted 25 March 2013 - 5:31 AM

All VF's will physically fit, including a bunch of TD's, but for true un bolt-bolt in swaps, you can go with any VF or TD that has the 90º upwards bend on the intake. This includes the two legacy turbos, the tiny VF10, the modest VF8, and some impreza turbo's, the small TD-04, and the STi monstrosity, TD-05.

The TD-05 will be the upgrade turbo you've imagined, it came on V2 STi's. It's not the most common, as it is a very popular turbo, due to it's ease of bolt in to the first gens.

I think he's after a straight bolt on with no further mods required, a TD-05 surely would need a few bits done. But going off what I've just heard today a TD-04 can be straight swapped.
2000 Impreza WRX Type RA Version 6
1998 Legacy TS Type-R B Spec
1992 Legacy GT BC5 Facelift
Vairous other BD/BE/BC combos
2004 Impreza GG Wagon

#4 h8wrx

h8wrx

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 721 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1995 STI RA V2
      1993 BF GT
      2004 Outback 3.0R
      1997 STI V4 WRX
      1998 "Banana Boat" GTB race car

Posted 25 March 2013 - 5:39 AM

I think he's after a straight bolt on with no further mods required, a TD-05 surely would need a few bits done. But going off what I've just heard today a TD-04 can be straight swapped.

A TD05 off a v1-v2 wrx is a direct bolt up, no mods required
Posted Image

#5 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8604 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • MY05 BLE Legacy 3.0R Spec B 6MT

Posted 25 March 2013 - 5:50 AM

TD05 is the way to go. Fully rebuildable, heaps of upgrade parts available too. I picked my one up for $90 on Trade Me.
Posted Image

6 stars, 6 cylinder and 6 speed. 666. It's the devil car!!

#6 FBSBC5

FBSBC5

Rally Driver

• Contributing Member
  • 1040 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1990 BC5 RS trackcar

Posted 25 March 2013 - 6:26 AM

well it depends on how good you are working on your own car,the vf 8,10, tdo4-5 with 90deg elbow are straight bolt ons with no mods required, vf 22,23,24,29,30,34 and 35 are straight entry, you could weld a 90deg elbow on them and that would be all you have to do or keep them straight entry and then you would be changing intake manifold for the v3-4 intake which is not a biggy plus the power steering pump off same model

#7 h8wrx

h8wrx

Boosted!

• Contributing Member
  • 721 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1995 STI RA V2
      1993 BF GT
      2004 Outback 3.0R
      1997 STI V4 WRX
      1998 "Banana Boat" GTB race car

Posted 25 March 2013 - 6:34 AM

i have a cheap vf23 for sale btw ;)
Posted Image

#8 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5519 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 25 March 2013 - 6:46 AM

Stop reminding me
Posted Image

#9 91RSWagon

91RSWagon

Carby Driver

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1991 Subaru legacy RS

1995 Subaru legacy BG

Posted 26 March 2013 - 3:37 AM

So if you change from a vf turbo to a td do you have to change the downpipe as well?

#10 FBSBC5

FBSBC5

Rally Driver

• Contributing Member
  • 1040 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1990 BC5 RS trackcar

Posted 26 March 2013 - 4:01 AM

So if you change from a vf turbo to a td do you have to change the downpipe as well?

nope

#11 THE UNDERTAKER

THE UNDERTAKER

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 383 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 95 version 2 wrx. 89 RSRA 92 bf wagon

Posted 26 March 2013 - 4:38 AM

TD05 is the way to go. Fully rebuildable, heaps of upgrade parts available too. I picked my one up for $90 on Trade Me.

+1 there. Would be direct bolt on , just make sure you get the water & oil pipes with which ever turbo you decide apon. Best to buy 1 from a running car. As there are many being sold out there at the momment that would last 5min if that. In some cases just buy 1 with blown oil seal. You can do general checks to indecate if somethings wrong. Just my 2c worth

#12 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8604 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 4:44 AM

Oh and the oil feed bolt on top is different on the TD05. Larger hole for more oil flow. Not sure about TD04 though sorry.
Posted Image

#13 Damo

Damo

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 259 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1990 Subaru Legacy RS

Posted 26 March 2013 - 4:53 AM

Oh and the oil feed bolt on top is different on the TD05. Larger hole for more oil flow. Not sure about TD04 though sorry.

The TD-04 is the same as the VF8 and 10
BCing since ages ago!

#14 Decimate

Decimate

Quad-cam

• Members
  • 200 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 Legacy RS - Mild
      1990 Legacy RS - Wild
      1999 - Legacy GTB Wagon - Very Mild

Posted 26 March 2013 - 6:31 AM

A TD05 off a v1-v2 wrx is a direct bolt up, no mods required

He may have meant no supporting mods ie fuel, ecu? I dunno. But yeah bang for buck on a BC5 - TD05 - <$200 away laughing. You only need to look at some of the many, many flow ratings out there to see how much they'll huff through compared to TD04, VF8, 10, hell... even 28, 30 and 22
tubrosmart Customs

#15 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8604 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 26 March 2013 - 6:37 AM

The stock TD05 is a small 16G. You can buy wheels and compressor housings for big 16G, 18G, 20G and even 25G quite cheaply.

http://stores.ebay.c...u/kando-dynamic
Posted Image

#16 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 27 March 2013 - 7:02 AM

The V2 STi's that ran a 90º TD-05, also ran an EJ20G with grey top injectors. A factory EJ20G can happily support a stock TD-05 on a stock motor, at stock boost.
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#17 Familyman

Familyman

Rusted

• Contributing Member
  • 2709 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • MY01 WRX STI. MY01 Legacy B4 RSK. MY91 Legacy RS

Posted 27 March 2013 - 7:18 AM

Stock boost? What is this term you speak of?
Posted Image

#18 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8604 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 27 March 2013 - 7:26 AM

It's this thing that happened in the 90's. Didn't last long, much like Vanilla Ice.
  • Leufkax likes this
Posted Image

#19 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5519 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 27 March 2013 - 7:33 AM

oh god lets not let that repeat again
Posted Image

#20 kamineko

kamineko

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 212 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • GC4A STI RA Type CF
      BG5B TD05

Posted 27 March 2013 - 7:41 AM

word. if you have a free flowing turbo back exhaust, factory boost control won't keep up with the TD05 and you'll boostcut.

couple it with an EBC until you decide to go the whole way with an ECU etc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users