Photo

After market sway bars......rule of thumb?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 5103 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 14 August 2012 - 7:03 PM

It's prolly one of the first, easiest, and best bang for buck mods we all do to the old girls to stiffen up the handling.

To reduce understeer........I always thought the rule of thumb was fatter bar at the back and smaller dai at the front?

But I have also seen fatter bars on the front........or equal dai bars on the front............. so what's the go?
Posted Image

#2 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • MY05 BLE Legacy 3.0R Spec B 6MT

Posted 14 August 2012 - 7:24 PM

Completely different suspension system, but my BL has 24mm front bar and 20mm rear, and not a hint of understeer. I guess I'll find out for certain on the track!
Posted Image

6 stars, 6 cylinder and 6 speed. 666. It's the devil car!!

#3 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 5103 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 14 August 2012 - 7:30 PM

Completely different suspension system, but my BL has 24mm front bar and 20mm rear, and not a hint of understeer. I guess I'll find out for certain on the track!

yep that's exactly what I'm talking about..........strange, but if you've got no understeer that's awesome. So ur gona track the beast?...nice
Posted Image

#4 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 14 August 2012 - 8:28 PM

I've got 22 on the front and 20 on the back both solid and adjustable and I have no understeer ethier I have mine set to soft as we as I don't push it really hard just yet
Posted Image

#5 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 5103 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 14 August 2012 - 8:53 PM

Well well........this is all very interesting. It seems my rule of thumb is just a myth!

I have a 3 way adjustable 20 on the rear and a factory V3sti on the front and yep I get a bit of understeer on the roads most noticeably in the wet in corners. Scares the shit outta me!. I've got a a hollow non adjustable 24 to go on the front........I'll try that.

Hollow 24 (according to Uncle Google) has about same torsional strength as solid 22.

Interesting read on the solid Vs hollow sway bars
Posted Image

#6 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 14 August 2012 - 10:01 PM

I used to have hollow 24 on front and rear of my bc
Posted Image

#7 Familyman

Familyman

Rusted

• Contributing Member
  • 2709 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • MY01 WRX STI. MY01 Legacy B4 RSK. MY91 Legacy RS

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:24 PM

Was told by my tame mechanic who use to indulge in quite a bit of competitive track work that matching bars for front and rear were the most neutral solution.

If you have a rear bar larger than your front and still get understeer, is it possible that something else is causing it? Flex in steering rack? Front swaybar links maybe weaker than rear? Just throwing out wild ideas here.
Posted Image

#8 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:08 AM

yep that's exactly what I'm talking about..........strange, but if you've got no understeer that's awesome. So ur gona track the beast?...nice

Yep, doing Ray's Taupo track day.

I had matching 20mm bars in the wagon, and that would oversteer when pushed. Not a snap though, was nice and progressive.
Posted Image

#9 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 5103 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 15 August 2012 - 1:36 AM

Was told by my tame mechanic who use to indulge in quite a bit of competitive track work that matching bars for front and rear were the most neutral solution.

If you have a rear bar larger than your front and still get understeer, is it possible that something else is causing it? Flex in steering rack? Front swaybar links maybe weaker than rear? Just throwing out wild ideas here.

It's all possible...........i will experiment with the setup when I get it on the road. I'll whack the front hollow in for now and road test later
Posted Image

#10 Ichi Ban

Ichi Ban

SOHC-powered

• 166 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 09 Impreza Hatch 2.0R Sport (NZ New)
      07 Toyota VX Prado (NZ New)

Posted 15 August 2012 - 5:33 AM

Many factors come into play with under/oversteer

Driver being the main one

Tuning the suspension to suit one driver often wont suit another

Bars, tyres, pressures, alignment, shock and spring rates, brake bias (different pads/rotors/calipers all effect this), driving style, and DCCD setting all come into play

The sub 1.20 Subaru's at manfeild that i have dealt with, went better with the OEM front bar than they did with an aftermarket bar

#11 chasey89

chasey89

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 358 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Subaru Legacy GT

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:15 PM

Yep, doing Ray's Taupo track day.

I had matching 20mm bars in the wagon, and that would oversteer when pushed. Not a snap though, was nice and progressive.

I can support that comment 100%, with the bars in the wagon it will step out if you want it to and push it, but can still throw it into a corner knowing its not going to just cut loose on you.

I was never big on sway bars until I went from my wagon to this one. What a difference.

#12 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:06 AM

Lol I need to take you for a spin in the BL. Body roll is pretty much eliminated with the 24mm front bar! I'm often rocking on 2 wheels going in and out of driveways on an angle.
Posted Image

#13 DacerX

DacerX

Leone Lover

• Contributing Member
  • 5567 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • Shit Heaps

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:45 AM

Is it a hollow bar boostin ?
Posted Image

#14 boostin

boostin

Subaru spanner swinger

• Contributing Member
  • 8609 posts
  • Vehicles:

Posted 16 August 2012 - 1:31 AM

Going by the weight of it, no.
Posted Image

#15 chasey89

chasey89

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 358 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Subaru Legacy GT

Posted 16 August 2012 - 1:34 AM

Lol I need to take you for a spin in the BL. Body roll is pretty much eliminated with the 24mm front bar! I'm often rocking on 2 wheels going in and out of driveways on an angle.

hahaha! NOICE~~!!~~ would love to experience that beast of a machine!! 2 wheels pulling in and out of driveways! Love it!

#16 Reuben

Reuben

THAT guy...

• Committee
  • 5848 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Legacy GTB Limited
      1995 Legacy 200T
      1990 Legacy Ti Type-S

Posted 16 August 2012 - 4:59 AM

I gotta say, there's many ways to reduce understeer.

One of the biggest for me, and what essentially killed any last bits of understeer my wagon had on the road, was the K-brace. Getting rid of the subframe flex REALLY helps in the slow speed stuff, like hairpins. I found the sway bars (went from 20mm stock to 22mm cusco, front and rear) Helped more in the high speed stuff, didn't notice a change in under or oversteer characteristics (expected, didn't change any bias), but just overall much higher grip on fast sweepers and such. He still will oversteer on the sweepers if you push him though, arse is always first to come out on that car, but very very progressively (Big ol wagon, with bung GDB STi rear shocks, woohoo!).
Posted Image

<Shale>: Blighter doesn't really have an accelerator pedal, it's more just a loudness pedal. You can change volume, but you won't go any faster.

<mjlqtown>: (Southern US accent) I'v excised the demon! This car is now clear!

<Reuben>: I feel like when you stomp the throttle in Blighter, it's like you've startled an old man!

#17 madmike

madmike

Boosted!

• Members
  • 553 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1990 BC5 racecar
      1992 SVX

Posted 16 August 2012 - 8:11 AM

best thing to get rid of understeer is a big dose of handbrake.....

Backing the bitch in FTW...
Posted Image

#18 DCVR

DCVR

Rally Driver!

• Committee
  • 5103 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1989 RS Legacy
      1989 BF Legacy

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:00 PM

Lol.....
Posted Image

#19 MercuryFree

MercuryFree

SOHC-powered

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 2002 World Rally Blue v7 STi
      2000 BH Outback / Lancaster 6

Posted 10 September 2012 - 3:18 AM

It's not HAVING a bigger rear bar than front that's a rule of thumb, it's that to improve understeer characteristics, INCREASING the size of the rear bar will generally work. Same with increasing the size of the front to reduce oversteer.

But as ichi said, many factors. Need to get mine back out on track to see if my bigger rear swaybar will actually improve my laptimes. Feels better but feel doesn't always equal results
  • Shale likes this

#20 RS-YES

RS-YES

Quad-cam

• Contributing Member
  • 282 posts
  • Vehicles:
    • 1998 Subaru WRX STI Ver4

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:28 PM

When re-fitting sway bars do you have to torque to factory specs or just tighten the F outta of it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users